JOB TITLE: Staff Accountant
REPORTS TO: Finance Manager
PREPARED BY: Human Resources
PREPARED DATE: July 18, 2018
The Staff Accountant works with Pueblo of Tesuque Development Corporation Management and Administrative Staff to prepare financial reports, manage various reports and provide complex accounting reconciliations in accordance with policies and procedures and within the established Generally Accepted Accounted Principles (GAAP) and Governmental Accounting Standards while maintaining confidentiality of all privileged information.
Note: Native American preference will be given.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Bachelors of Business Administration Degree with major in Accounting
- Five years of experience in accounting with increasing responsibilities. Prefer experience in Tribal Gaming environment
- In depth knowledge of financial accounting principles, balance sheets, income statements, financial administration and reporting. Strong working knowledge of GAAP
- Exceptional analytical and problem solving abilities
- Ability to work and interact with departments throughout the organization
- Ability to research and compile information and use complex spreadsheets to support management in making sound decisions.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient knowledge of Excel and Word
- Must be 21 years or older
- Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screen, backgroundinvestigation, obtain and maintain gaming license.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively in a multi-company environment with a minimum of direct supervision.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the accounting team and senior management to assure required timelines are met.
- Assist in the development of budgets and budget projections.
- Provide up-to-date expenditure and balance information.
- Review accounting transactions, verify budget and expenditures to ensure compliance with Internal Controls, regulations and restrictions.
- Assist in the preparation of consolidated internal and external financial statements by gathering and analyzing information from the general ledger system and departmental information.
- Prepare general ledger entries by maintaining records and files; reconciling accounts.
- Develop and implement accounting procedures by analyzing current procedures and recommending changes.
- Answer accounting and financial questions by researching and interpreting data.
- Prepare various month-end and year-end auditing, tax reporting and other financial and accounting functions.
- Use and develop templates to analyze budget patterns, project expenditures and prepare approved budget.
- Monitor and approve expenditures throughout the budgetary period.
- Use various software applications such as spreadsheets, relational databases, statistical packages and graphics packages to assemble, manipulate and/or format data and/or reports.
- Provide historical reference by defining procedures for retention, protection, retrieval transfer and disposal of records.
- Complete operational requirement by scheduling and assigning employees; follow up on work results.
- Review and analyze departmental financial statements and payroll reports.
- Maintain subsidiary ledgers and reconcile to general ledger control accounts.
- Prepare month end and year end closing of accounts for assigned operatnig units.
- Prepare journal entries for adjusting and correcting accounting records
- and prepare appropriate payments Audit tax withholding, travel authorizations
- Reconcile inventory assets
- Analyze balance sheet accounts
- Assist in the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements
- Prepare and analyze budgets, pro-formas, and cash flow projections
- Maintain the highest level of confidentiality.
- Other duties as assigned.
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the general tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive.
This position does not require any direct supervisory responsibilities at this time.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bacheleor’s degree with major in Accounting, plus five years of experience in accounting; or equivalent combination of education and experience demonstrating the required skills and knowledge for successful performance.
- Modern principles, practices, and methods of accounting, financial administration, reporting, computers and accounting software programs
Using the primary language identified as English, the following are required:
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports and business correspondence
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a valid gaming license from the Pueblo of Tesuque Gaming Commission
- Social Security Card
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to sit for prolonged periods of time. Employee is required to kneel, bend, squat, and walk. Employee will use fingers, hands and arms to conduct repetitious movements and tasks such as operating a computer keyboard, mouse and other computer components, and must be able to lift up to twenty-five (25) lbs. Employee must be able to talk and hear in an environment with varying noise levels. Requires working in an environment with exposure to smoke.