JOB TITLE: Sous Chef
DEPARTMENT: Food & Beverage
REPORTS TO: Executive Chef
PREPARED BY: Human Resources
PREPARED DATE: November 14, 2017
Under the direction of the Executive Chef, the Sous Chef directs a kitchen staff in all aspects of food preparation, presentation and the care and maintenance of kitchen facilities.
Note: Native American preference will be given.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
• Knowledge of dining and food maintenance operations and customer service.
• Ability to demonstrate outstanding guest service utilizing the Rock Solid Guest Service Standards at all times.
• Knowledge of food handling procedures.
• Knowledge of menu development.
• Must be a self-starter with excellent follow through.
• Must be able to work flexible hours including holidays, nights and weekends.
• Must be 21 years of age or older.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Supervise cooks, dish machine operators and all culinary positions as assigned.
• Plan, and coordinate the efforts of the culinary team to achieve the best utilization of resources in accordance with all food handling principle, and management directives.
• Implement all menus as directed by the Food and Beverage Director and the Executive Chef as outlined by preparation methods.
• Review menus for possible points of improvements.
• Ensure Quality Assurance and compliance with all regulatory requirements and continuously evaluate the menus, service and food quality to guarantee that the very best is offered to all guests of Tesuque Casino.
• Resolve all issues pertaining to culinary team members under his/her supervision.
• Ensure that all cleaning and preventive maintenance schedules are carried out in all culinary areas.
• Demonstrate outstanding guest service utilizing the Rock Solid Guest Service Standards at all times.
• Recommend daily specials and new menu items for the Director approval.
• Ensure that all work spaces are maintained clean and sanitary at all times in full accordance with health regulations.
• Ensure that proper receiving, thawing, and storage in correct location, proportioning prep area sanitation, heating and holding, and reheating (including sauces, soups, salad bar items, lunch, dinner, and produce) are followed at all times.
• Other duties as assigned by the Executive Chef.
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive.
Responsible for the supervision of all cooks, dish machine operators and all culinary positions as assigned.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
• Minimum of 3 years kitchen leadership experience with a record of progressive advancement.
• High Integrity
• Positive Attitude
• Leads by Example
• Non-Bias approach to all situations
• Performance Driven
Using the primary language identified as English, the following is required:
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret policies and procedures, directions, reports and other working documents.
• Ability to write reports, business correspondence, menus and other working documents.
• Ability to effectively communicate one on one, in small group situations and in moderate to large gatherings of associates and /or executives.
• Bilingual preferred; at a minimum, the ability to understand and be understood to all Spanish speaking individuals
• Must have the ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
• Must have the ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
• Must be able to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, percentages and decimals.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
• Must have or obtain Safe Serve or IHS (Food Handler)
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly is required to stand and walk for extended periods; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear. The employee occasionally is required to sit, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee will be required to talk for extended periods and must be able to hear and understand. The employee must occasionally lift or move up to fifty (50) pounds.
The work environment includes but not limited to food prep areas, and food storage areas (freezer, coolers etc.); exposed to hot food, oils, and cooking surfaces. The incumbent will occasionally be exposed to loud noise and must be able to tolerate second-hand smoke.