POSITION TITLE: Executive Chef
DEPARTMENT: Food & Beverage
REPORTS TO: Food & Beverage Director
APPROVED BY: Human Resources
PREPARED DATE: August 2018
Responsible for the consistent preparation of innovative andhighest quality creative cuisine, presentation and flavor for the dining rooms, banquets and other food facilities, resulting in outstanding guest satisfaction.
Additionally, responsible for the smooth running of the kitchen and management profit, stock areas, wastage control, hygiene practices and training within the kitchen.
Note: Native American preference will be given.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Knowledge of dining and food maintenance operations and customer service.
- Ability to demonstrate outstanding guest service utilizing the Tesuque Proud Standards at all times.
- Knowledge of food handling procedures.
- Knowledge of menu development.
- Must be a self-starter with excellent follow through.
- Must be able to work flexible hours including holidays, nights and weekends.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Trains, develops and motivates supervisors and culinary staff to meet and exceed established food preparation standards on a consistent basis.
- Teaches preparation according to well-defined recipes, follows up, and discusses ways of constantly improving the cuisine at the property.
- Expedite all dishes from the kitchen line to ensure quality and appearance.
- Display exceptional leadership by providing a positive work environment, counselling employees as appropriate and demonstrating a dedicated and professional approach to management.
- Should be able to provide direction for all day-to-day operations in the kitchen.
- Understand employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees’ absence or determine appropriate replacement to fill gaps.
- Provides guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
- Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and kitchen staff.
- Advocate sound financial/business decision-making, demonstrates honesty, integrity and leads by example.
- Provides and supports service behaviors that are beyond for customer satisfaction and retention.
- Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
- Delegates as appropriate to develop supervisors and subordinates to accept responsibility and meet clearly defined goals and objectives.
- Reviews staffing levels to ensure that guest service, operational needs and financial objectives are met.
- Actively involved in menu development and maintaining updated and accurate costing of all dishes prepared and sold in the Food and Beverage operations in order to obtain food cost objectives.
- Determines how food should be presented, and create decorative food displays.
- Recognizes superior quality products, presentations and flavor.
- Ensures compliance with food handling and sanitation standards.
- Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food products.
- Ensures all equipment in the kitchen is properly maintained and in working order in accordance with local Health department and Casino standards.
- Reviews social media and guest comment cards for guest satisfaction results and other data to identify areas of improvement.
- Coordinates with the purchase department for acquisition of needed goods and services.
- Ensure all products are prepared in a consistent manner and meet departmental appearance/quality standards.
- Ensure proper grooming and hygiene standards for all kitchen staffs.
- Ensures all kitchen employees maintain required food handling and sanitation certifications.
- Ensure proper purchasing, receiving and food storage standards in the kitchen.
- Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on food quality, presentation and service levels.
- Actively responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
- Maintain quality levels of receiving, storage, production and presentation of food.
- Ensure sufficient staffing levels are scheduled to accommodate business demands.
- Follows and enforces all applicable safety procedures specified for kitchen and food servers.
- Review weekly and monthly schedules to meet forecast and budget.
- Attend the daily pre-shift meetings.
- Identifies the developmental needs of kitchen staffs and provide coaching, mentoring, and helping them to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Trains kitchen associates on the fundamentals of good cooking and excellent plate presentations. Also, interview and hire new applicants for kitchen.
- Frequently review finished products for quality and presentation before the orders are send to guest.
- Able to perform additional duties as requested by the F&B director.
- Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Casino operational standards and management policy.
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive.
Responsible for the supervision of all cooks, dish machine operators and all culinary positions as assigned.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of 10 years’ kitchen leadership experience with a record of progressive advancement.
- High Integrity
- Positive Attitude
- Leads by Example
- Non-Bias approach to all situations
- Performance Driven
Using the primary language identified as English, the following is required:
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret policies and procedures, directions, reports and other working documents.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, menus and other working documents.
- Ability to communicate effectively one on one, in small group situations and in moderate to large gatherings of associates and /or executives.
- Bilingual preferred; at a minimum, the ability to understand and be understood to all Spanish speaking individuals
- Must have the ability to solve problems.
- Must have the ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- Must be able to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, percentages and decimals.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
- Must have or obtain Safe Serve or IHS (Food Handler)
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly is required to stand and walk for extended periods; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear. The employee occasionally is required to sit, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee will be required to talk for extended periods and must be able to hear and understand. The employee must occasionally lift or move up to fifty (50) pounds.
The work environment includes but not limited to food prep areas, and food storage areas (freezer, coolers etc.); exposed to hot food, oils, and cooking surfaces. The incumbent will be exposed to loud noise and must be able to tolerate second-hand smoke.